1. What do you think poetry is? What makes a poem a poem?
- Terms: line, stanza, rhyme, meter.
- Description: metaphors, similes.
- Similar to folktales because both were meant to be read aloud.
- In poetry, the sounds of the words are just as important as the story itself (the music of words).
- Read it aloud to class once.
- Then, read it aloud again with the class. Go around the room, each student reading 2 lines at a time.
Pick a folktale that you know really well (you can pick "Little Red Riding Hood" if you want) and tell it again as a poem. Feel free to change the traditional story as you retell it. The poem does not have to rhyme, but it certainly can if you want.