15 May 2012

Commission from Cold Moon Press

This is professional networking in action: a friend of a friend of mine (the lovely Annie) has a press (as in independent publishing company, not printing press) called Cold Moon Press. And it has a few books under its belt now. They publish fantasy, speculative fiction, horror: what some would call genre fiction, and what I would call fun reading. And I love their tagline: 

"In the light of a winter's night, you'll find Cold Moon Press.
Read tales of the suspenseful, the magical, the chilling.
Curl up under a warm blanket, brew a cup of tea, 
and save the longest nights of the year for our books."

Recently, Cold Moon Press contacted me to consult about a possible project: excerpt booklets for distributing at small press conferences and the like. She wanted something with more visual impact than the laser-printed, staple-bound work that she'd seen handed out by other presses. My reply was that letterpress printing, hand-binding and quality materials make all the difference. Because they do.

Carved linoleum printing block
So Cold Moon Press has commissioned me to print and bind these excerpt booklets/catalogs of the books they currently offer. I am so excited! The first step was to figure out how to print their logo. Laser printing is the last resort. Photopolymer plates can get expensive. So I decided to try my hand at carving another linocut. I think they add a bit more character to the printing process and the finished product, and they are the least expensive route to letterpress printing a custom image. CMP's logo was designed and drawn by one of the press's leading authors, Vonnie Winslow Crist. And, lucky for me, it was a black and white image with a (fairly) simple design. Although I must admit, the tree branches and roots gave me a pretty hard time. This is certainly the most complex image that I have attempted to carve so far. But I am happy with the results. And, more importantly, CMP is! So, with that ready to go and the text to be printed in hand, it's time to start setting some type.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your linoleum print is fabulous, Lindsay! In addition to your artist's eye, you must have some really good tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sally! I love my Speedball linocutter. Maybe when I have a few more linoleum blocks under my belt, I'll start calling her Ol' Trusty.

    ReplyDelete